Mock Draft 2.0 (Pre Free Agency)
1. HOU – Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina. Best overall player in this year’s draft. Texans need a franchise QB but instead decide to draft a dominate DE to pair with with Watt, Mercilus and company. I see them adding Matt Cassell as a stop gap QB who’s already familiar with Coach Bill O’Brien.
2. STL – Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn. Robinson has a higher upside but Matthews is the more polished player right now. I think the Rams take a chance with him despite his boom or bust potential. Best case scenario he’s Jason Peters, at worst he’s Jason Smith.
3. JAX – Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville. Best QB in this year’s class IMO. Jags get their franchise QB and Bridgewater is a perfect fit for Jedd Fisch’s offense.
4. CLE – Johnny Manziel, QB Texas A&M. Despite the front office turnover I still think the Browns covet Manziel. Size and pocket presence is my biggest concerns but he has the talent of a top 5 pick.
5. OAK – Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State. When I see Carr is see a QB whose skills need to be refined. Has tools but is a day 2 selection in my opinion. Need will drive up his stock
6. ATL – Khallil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo. Atlanta has holes on their offensive and defensive line so they could go either way. I think they go best player available, which is Mack.
7. TB – Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M. The more polished Tackle of the top 2 prospects. Donald Penn is in his 30’s so Matthews will be his future replacement.
8. MIN – Blake Bortles, QB, UCF. The Vikings need a franchise QB and I think they reach here to fill that need.
9. BUF – Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson. 6’1″, 211 pounds wide receiver that ran a 4.43 40. Eventual #1 receiver for EJ Manuel.
10. DET – Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M. Matthew Stafford loves to throw jump balls which Evans excels at. Number 2 receivers to pair up with Megatron.
11. TEN – Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA. The Titans are moving to a 3-4 and could use some help rushing the passer. Barr is raw but has the long arms and athleticism to excel at OLB.
12. NYG – Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan. The Giants couldn’t protect Eli Manning last year so they draft Lewan to protect his blind side.
13. STL – HaHa Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama. Most complete safety in this year’s class. Can play centerfield or in the box.
14. CHI- Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh. Quick, pass rushing 3-technique to replace Henry Melton assuming he isn’t re-signed. If he is, they could go CB here.
15. PIT – Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State. Ike Taylor is getting up in age and has lost a step or two so he should be moved to safety. On tape I think Gilbert would be better off at safety but his impressive combine performance improves his stock at CB.
16. DAL – Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State. The Cowboys desperately need a defensive tackle, so they have to consider Jernigan, but with Jerry Jones you never know.
17. BAL – C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama. The Ravens need more offensive weapons but could also lose Darryl Smith in free agency. Mosley is a good value pick here.
18. NYJ – Eric Ebron, TE, UNC. Steal at #18, super athletic tight end who will be a matchup nightmare. Go to guy for Geno Smith.
19. MIA – Zack Martin, OT/OG, Notre Dame. The Dolphins offensive line was a mess last year, they need 2 guards and 2 tackles. Martin can play right tackle or guard which makes him a very attractive option for Miami.
20. ARZ – Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn. Situational pass rusher his rookie year who will eventually replace John Abraham.
21. GB – Ra’Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota. Packers could be losing Mike Neal and BJ Raji in free agency. Hageman has the power and quickness to play NT or 5-techinque.
22. PHI – Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech. Can rush passer, play in space. Versatile player that Chip Kelly will love. Eventual replacement for Trent Cole.
23. KC – Marquise Lee, WR, USC. Dwayne Bowe had a down year and was not the #1 receiver Alex Smith needed. Lee didn’t live up to expectations his senior year but can develop into a #1.
24. CIN – Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State. Leon Hall has torn his achilles twice in 3 years. Terrance Newman and Pacman Jones are getting up there in age. Dennard is a tall, long corner who answered questions about his long speed at the combine running a 4.51 40.
25. SD – Jason Verrett, CB, TCU. Verrett is small but has elite potential. Would be a day 1 starter in San Diego.
26. CLE – Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State. Cooks is a little speedster, reminds me of Tavon Austin. Can do a lot of things and would be a nice complement to Josh Gordon.
27. NO – Kony Ealy, DE/OLB, Missouri. Ealy joins Junior Gallette and Cameron Jordan to form a nice young pass rushing trio.
28. CAR – Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU. The Panthers could lose Brandon LaFell and Ted Ginn in free agency. Beckham Jr. is a dynamic playmaker for Cam who could become a #1 receiver.
29. NE – Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech. Aqib Talib seems to be moving on in free agency. Fuller has good size, speed and looks the part of a starting corner.
30. SF – Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt. Anquan Boldin re-signed but Mario Manningham is scheduled to become a free agent. Matthews is a big bodied receiver with great speed (4.46 40). He’ll benefit from sitting behind Boldin.
31. DEN – Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame. Injuries and age make defensive end the Broncos biggest need.
32. SEA – Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG, UCLA. Super athletic guard that’ll be a major upgrade to an already solid Seattle offensive line.