Tearing Apart Todd McShay’s 1st Mock Draft of 2013
ESPN analyst and draft guru, Todd McShay, released his first mock of the season this week and it raised a lot of eyebrows. There was even a small segment on television where he and Mel Kiper debated on a few of the picks.
The thing with McShay’s mock is that he tends to fall in love with certain players and is a little more flexible than Mel Kiper on his picks. Mel usually has a few shocker picks, and this year has Manti Te’o going #1 overall. Kiper has a defender as well going #1 but it is not Mr. Te’o.
See who McShay picked as well as my commentary below:
1. Kansas City Chiefs: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
Would the Chiefs really spend ANOTHER premium pick on a defensive tackle? They’ve been doing it for a half a decade and it hasn’t gotten them anywhere….
2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Damontre Moore, De, Texas A&M
Could happen, but I think Jarvis Jones is going to be rated higher. Can’t wait for the combine.
3. Oakland Raiders – Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
Werner is gaining momentum quick. Top 3 not out the question.
4. Philadelphia Eagles – Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
Eagles fans wanted Te’o, but I agree with Joeckel.
5. Carolina Panthers – Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
Could happen. No problems with this pick.
6. Tennessee Titans – Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
I just have this feeling the Titans are going to take Mingo as well…
7. Detroit Lions – Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
I could see this. Alphonso Smith is not amused though.
8. Arizona Cardinals – Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
If they don’t sign Vick, this has to be some QB.
9. San Diego Chargers – Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
Good pick Todd.
10. Cleveland Browns – Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
Warmack is thought of highly like DeCastro, but the thing that will hold him from the top 10 is positional value.
11. Buffalo Bills – Manti Te’o, ILB, Notre Dame
“Best player in the draft” available at 11? I think someone would trade up before now to get him…
Get the rest of Todd’s mock over at ESPN.com or Google it, I cannot post the rest here.