Just yesterday, it looked like Jeremy Lin was about to get PAID by the New York Knicks. He signed a three year, ‘poison pill’ offer with the Houston Rockets that the Knicks were expected to match. Now it seems like the Knicks are ready to move on after bringing back Ray Felton. To top things off, Carmelo Anthony had some pretty interesting comments on Lin’s deal as well.
After the New York Knicks reached agreement Saturday on a sign-and-trade deal with the Portland Trail Blazers to acquire point guard Raymond Felton, Lin’s future with the Knicks now appears uncertain at best. New York had been widely expected to match the three-year, $25 million offer sheet Lin signed with the Houston Rockets, but now already has three point guards under contract: veteran Jason Kidd, Felton and Argentine guard Pablo Prigioni. One league source said it’s now “highly doubtful” the Knicks match Lin’s offer sheet.
“He did not see this happening,” Peter Diepenbrock, Lin’s coach at Palo Alto High School, told Yahoo! Sports. “He sounded surprised.”
The Knicks officially have until 11:59 p.m. ET Tuesday to match the Rockets’ offer sheet. Sources close to the Rockets and Lin said Saturday night they had yet to be told of the Knicks’ decision. But with Kidd recently signing a three-year, $9 million contract and Felton receiving a three-year, $10 million deal, the Knicks already have made a substantial investment at the point guard position.
And what did Carmelo have to say about this?
“It’s not up to me. It’s up to the organization to say that they want to match that ridiculous contract,”
What’s funny is that Carmelo is the guy who asked D’Antoni to give Lin a shot when the Knicks were all out of point guards. I think Lin will prove to be just a “guy” like a Goran Dragic, Ramon Sessions, etc. level point guard. It’s hard to imagine Linsanity already over but oh well. I can’t blame Jeremy for cashin’ out.