Small School Sleeper: Donterrious Porter

By
Updated: April 6, 2013
donterrious porter

We decided to do something a little different and showcase a small school player who’s name should be on your radar right now. With the 2013 Draft coming up, all of the attention is going to the “household names” but we all know that teams are built on players that somehow slip through the cracks and are picked up by the league’s best franchises.

A small school player that you may need to get familiar with is Donterrious Porter out of Luther College in Decorah Iowa (2012 draft class). Luther is a Division III school. This is the same level of football that produced Fred Jackson of the Buffalo Bills.

Now on to the tale of the tape. Donterrious is a 5’8, 189 pound defensive back that also has experience at either safety position. When I checked out some footage on him, the thing that jumps out at you is that Porter is very good in run support. Many times he fights and pops off his man to be the player who actually makes the stop. He is also good in coverage and plays the ball well. To add the icing on the cake, he made the school’s special teams MVP as a kick returner in 2010 and 2011.

What I find ironic is that on first glance, he instantly reminded me of Captain Munnerlyn of the Carolina Panthers and upon doing my research their combine numbers are very similar.

With the NFL becoming more and more a passing league, its only a matter of time before Donterrious gets his shot to show his value in the league.

Written by D. Wash

Founder, MockDraftHQ.com (2006). Denver Broncos, Charlotte Bobcats fan. Fan of football, technology, and battle rap. Shannon Sharpe is the greatest. Everything else is debatable.

Want more? There's over 2,000 Updated Mock Drafts in our NFL Draft and NBA Draft databases!

6 Comments

1. Barry Goldwater

April 14, 2013 at 11:33 am

You should stick to evaluating Shannon Sharpe.

• D. Wash

April 14, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Unlike other guys online, I dont take myself too seriously. I never claimed to be a scout. I don’t write “scouting reports.”

And the Sharpe thing is an inside joke, but I dont think anyone gets it yet lol

2. Jennifer

April 23, 2013 at 11:58 am

Great write up on Porter, I like that you added video’s so we can actually see some of his talent. I agree with your statement on how the NFL is going with more passing talent, he looks as if he would be a good canidate. I look forward to seeing if his career takes off.

• Donny p

May 1, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Oh ill get their just have a little faith in me this is my email portdo01@Luther.edu ill keep you updated if you email me, I appreciate the support.God Bless

3. DWheel

December 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm

He looks much more like a decent H.S. player than an NFL prospect. half of the plays in this “highlight” reel are mistakes made by the offense. He does little to attack the football and seems to like allowing plays to come to him. I love the idea of a relative unknown (and an Iowan at that) getting his big chance but he does not even look like a D1 starter let alone a professional hopeful.

4. Chad Lange

December 14, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Porter deserves the chance in the NFL. Hands down one of the hardest working most deserving people I have ever met.